Houston Transloading ServicesThere has been a considerable shift in the supply chain dynamic in recent years. The result was Houston transloading becoming a critical step between port and destination. When you need help, Derby Logistics has the knowledge, expertise, equipment, and people to ship the un-shippable. Often, shippers are surprised to find how cost-effective and efficient it can be to include transloading in their logistics. A well-honed transloading strategy can create efficiencies in the supply chain that can impact a business by increasing sales, cutting costs, and improving customer service. These improvements allow you to deliver a solid bottom line while enhancing the company’s order-to-cash cycle.
What Is Transloading?Transloading means transporting containers, cargo, and freight from one method of transportation to another, i.e., from a vessel to a truck bed. This loading method is recommended anytime multiple modes of transit are required throughout the shipping process. This process is quite common in international shipping and when considering geographical challenges. At times, transloading may also involve temporary storage in a warehouse. When performed well, transloading is an incredibly beneficial solution, providing the following:
- Lower spending on domestic freight, transit time, and handling expenses
- More favorable status with vessels and ocean carriers
- Increased efficiency through flexibility and organized, thoughtful decisions
Types of Cargo for Houston Transloading
- Special Materials: climate-controlled products, hazardous materials
- Standard Materials: raw materials, lumber, palletized materials, metal, liquids (such as ethanol or biodiesel)
- Oversized Cargo: transformers, machinery, vehicles
- Bulk: Sand, flour, plastic pellets
- Sensitive Products: Frozen foods, produce, perishables, parcel
The Transloading Process in HoustonWhen a business ships material by rail but doesn’t have access to rail at one end of the chain, more often than not, transloading is the best solution. This is because transloading can occur between railcar and truck as well as truck to railcar, and the process doesn’t need to be complicated.
- The product is loaded and transported to the transload site at Derby Logistics.
- The freight is received by the host railroad and placed at the transload site.
- The product is removed from the freight car. This may occur via forklift, crane, or any other apparatus required.
- When the customer needs to store the product, Derby Logistics will provide warehouse storage onsite until the customer is ready to ship. We have both long-term and short-term storage options available.
- When the product is prepared for shipment, it is transloaded to a truck bed and delivered to the final destination. The reverse of this process is also possible, transloading from truck to railcar.
Transloading with Derby Logistics: Ship the Unshippable
Based in Houston, TX, and equipped with the knowledge and expertise required, Derby Logistics can reduce your costs on domestic shipping by helping you make the right distribution decisions. With services that cover an array of aspects for your business and access to a broad transportation network across the country, we can provide smooth sailing for your business and your cargo.